Navigation bar

Home        Stockists        Website        Cargo        Facebook        Instagram        Pinterest        Contact

Thursday 14 March 2013

Society 6 v Redbubble

I've been on both Redbubble and Society 6 for a while now, but don't seem to have had much luck with either. I've sold a few things on redbubble, but trying to get attention on Society 6 seems near impossible (unless you're in a small and select group on that site), so I've been thinking of closing my society 6 account. Anyone had any major success with either site?

I guess it comes down to self promotion, but I've been unable to work out exactly how to do this on either site. On my Redbubble (which is pretty neglected at the moment) I have sold stickers, cards and a t shirt, but I think that that's because Redbubble is more likely to give new and lesser known members more coverage.

An example: My ramskull drawing was chosen as a pick of the day on redbubble, meaning it was up on the homepage where people were more likely to notice it for a few weeks. In contrast, though my most recent swan illustration was picked to be in the Society 6 shop (I have no idea how that's any different to where they normally are) despite scrolling back through about 10 pages of their shop, I never happened upon it. This could be because they rank them from most to least popular, but there are so many artists on Society 6 and so much to look at, I'd imagine most people will just look at the first few pages. Helping the most popular images just become more popular and give other members less of a chance.

I'm in no way saying the popular artists on Society 6 aren't talented and don't deserve to be successful - not at all, I think these sites let artists with amazing talent share their work and get more exposure - but it would be nice if Society 6 could mix it up a bit, maybe showcase new members or something a long those lines.

Anyway, rant over.



Here's a picture of a fawn.



(note, I edited this post as I realised it seemed to get a lot of views so felt I should maybe elaborate a bit more)

8 comments:

  1. Thank you. I haven't had too much luck finding a post that compares these two specific sites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Zorilla. I'm honestly not sure either site is worth the time, unless you're willing to put a lot of time promoting yourself and networking on just one of them. Even then, you only get a cut of the profits. I've had more success getting my own stuff made.

    I have made more sales on Redbubble, but you don't actually see a penny of your money until you make a profit of $20. It's going to take me a long long time to reach that, when all my sales seem to be stickers and cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog by googling redbubble vs society6. I'm in the UK too and thinking of joining one but can't decide which! Something tells me I'm likely to be disappointed either way...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sell on both pretty well, I make about the same amount of money on each per month somewhere between £100-£200 each.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for bringing up this discussion. I'm steadily selling stickers and t-shirts on Redbubble (but earning very little). On society6 I have sold nothing. Been a member of both sites for around a year. But I do have much more work on Redbubble. Seeing the comments here, I guess I should give society6 another go though. My overall experience with selling artwork through third parties, is that microstock is more rewarding than print on demand. I'm doing quite ok on Shutterstock and similar sites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sell stickers consistently, which means once a year I get a nice surprise of £14. I'd much rather produce and sell my own stuff. Means I get all the profit and I get to choose my suppliers/manufacturers and work with small local businesses

      Delete
  6. With Redbubble you have more control over your royalty level. Since Demand Media bought Society6 it will push it to be more commercial since they are desperate for new revenue sources. And on Society6 you get flat 10% on everything except prints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you could choose your rates on Society 6? I finally sold something on Society 6 and was rewarded with £3.50. You do get your money straight away though, unlike with redbubble where your profits have to reach $20 before your paid.

      Delete